|Book tour stop, Manhattan, New York|
Book tours are no exception to the after action review process.
Here are 5 lessons learned from a 4 state, 2 country book tour.
- Take someone with you and have them manage the travel arrangements. Make it their job to check, and recheck the schedule. Twice on the Christmas in Canada tour I "overlooked" items that were important . That wouldn't have happened if I had shared the plan, You can't do it all and still handle the "business" of promotion.
- Local currency. Have some cash on hand, man cannot live on a credit card alone. There will be items you need cash for: tipping, postcards, taxis. (Memo: not all taxis in New York city accept Visa.)
- It will always be a journey. Some days are better than others, but they all make up the path you will travel.
- Make time on the journey for the traveling party. Go where they want, see what they see, eat what they eat, be with them on their journey.
- Bring home gifts. Not everyone will get to go where you have been. Remember those that helped you get there by bringing back a piece.